What a birthday! One year ago our first sea lion pup was born to first-time mom Edith (Edi) on Oct. 30, 2017. This independent and charming lady was given the name Scarlett on her one-month birthday after Scarlett O’Hara from Margaret Mitchell’s 1936 novel, “Gone with the Wind”.
With a famous name like Scarlett she had big shoes to fill, but our little one hit many milestones and showed her matchless and sassy personality to all of us. So what have we learned about her over the last year? Let’s find out:
- Scarlett loves to play with different enrichment items, including water hoses. She loves to catch water in her mouth as it sprays down.
- Scarlett learned how to swim at just a few months old – without assistance from mom!
- Our not so little girl weighs in at approximately 50 pounds and has weaned off nursing.
- She is learning to eat fish and has a diet consisting of herring, capelin, squid, night smelt, and ocean smelt.
- Recently, Scarlett has been learning to go up and down stairs and navigate different areas of the exhibit. With flippers like hers, it can be a bit tricky, but she’s got this!
- Her next milestone will be introducing her to some of our younger female sea lions to continue building her socialization skills.
When it comes to birthdays, we celebrate big and this was no different. Scarlett’s animal care team made her an ice cake to commemorate her big 1st birthday, and we’re pretty sure she loved it! To see some of her birthday celebration click here.
When she was four months old, Scarlett made her debut in SunTrust Pier 225 with mom Edi. Since then, Scarlett has been on and off exhibit to allow time for her to grow and continue to hit milestones. Follow Georgia Aquarium on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram as Scarlett continues to grow and check out more of her story on Aquarium Love Stories on Facebook Watch.