Save our oceans (and your money) right at home
The ocean may seem overwhelmingly huge, but every drop makes a difference! June is World Oceans Month and we’re excited to bring our love for conservation right to your front door. To celebrate this vital month, we’re sharing our favorite easy and money-saving ways you can join us in protecting our oceans for decades to come—right from your own home!
You’ve heard it before—reduce, reuse and recycle! This is more than a cute little phrase. These simple steps can mean a world of difference to our favorite sea life.
Reduce your impact on the ocean (and your wallet) with these simple steps:
- Conserve water: Challenge yourself to reduce the length of your showers, turn off the water when brushing your teeth and do less frequent loads of laundry. These simple steps ensure that less water is taken from aquatic life’s environments, less energy is spent on water treatment and your water bill is reduced. It looks like you can treat yourself to that fancy dinner after all!
- Select sustainable seafood choices: When planning that nice seafood dinner (see what we did there?), research ahead which seafood options are fished or farmed sustainably to reduce your impact on the environment. It’s as easy as searching for your favorite seafood on websites like Seafood Watch. Everything tastes better when you know it’s not only good for you, but good for our oceans!
- Reduce your carbon footprint: Nobody likes paying for gas or electric bills. Lessen those worries by remembering to turn off all lights before leaving your home, carpooling to work, and even hopping on a bike or walking! Not only will you save money and achieve your #FitnessGoals, you’ll be doing your part to reduce your impact on global warming. Our oceans will thank you!
Reuse everyday items and save big:
- Reusable shopping bags: These super convenient, super easy alternatives to single-use plastic bags are also thrifty! Many grocery stores will give you a discount for every reusable bag you bring. This simple choice reduces the number of plastic bags that can end up in our oceans and be eaten by unsuspecting wildlife.
- Reusable straws:
Single-use plastic straws have a nasty habit of finding their way into our oceans and harming some of our favorite marine animals. Instead of asking for a plastic straw at a restaurant or having to get one yourself, bamboozle your friends with a reusable bamboo, metal, or glass straw. These may be small, but they make a big difference in the lives of our oceans’ residents!
- Reusable water bottles: Show off your personal style and stay hydrated with a reusable water bottle. Every time you choose to refill it instead of using a single-use plastic bottle, you’re helping our oceans. At Georgia Aquarium alone, guests using our Elkay ezH20® bottle filling stations have helped save over 160,00 bottles of water!
Recycle everything you can! The most commonly recyclable items are:
- Rigid plastic
- Aluminum cans
When in doubt, check your item for that convenient recycling symbol. If it has those three arrows, it’s good to go!
As you can sea, even one person can make an ocean of a difference. If you’d like to work directly with ocean conservation, now’s the perfect time to consider volunteering with an organization that supports the big blue. You’ll feel great knowing you’re helping save marine life and you may even find a new passion!